Basic concept on Time Speed and Distance
Today, we bring to you Speed Time and Distance Concepts and Questions for you to practice.
Speed is a very basic concept in motion which is all about how fast or slow any object moves. We define speed as distance divided by time.
Distance is directly proportional to Velocity when time is constant.
Speed,Time and Distance formula mathematically written as:-
Formula of Time :-
Time = distance/ Speed
So Formula of time is, time is equal to distance upon speed.
Formula of Distance :-
Distance = (Speed * Time)
Distance = Rate x Time To find rate, divide through on both sides by time:
1. Speed, Time and Distance:
Speed=Distance/Time , Time=Distance/Speed , Distance = (Speed x Time).
2. km/hr to m/sec conversion:
x km/hr = x * 5/18 m/sec
3. m/sec to km/hr conversion:
x m/sec = x *18/5 km/h
Rules regarding Time Speed and Distance
Rule 1: Ratio of the varying components when other is constant:
Consider 2 objects A and B having speed Sa, Sb. Let the distance travelled by them are Da and Db respectively and time taken to cover these distances be Ta and Tb respectively.
1.When speed is constant distance covered by the object is directly proportional to the time taken ie; If Sa=Sb then Da/Db = Ta/Tb
2. When time is constant speed is directly proportional to the distance travelled. ie; If Ta=Tb then Sa/Sb=Da/Db
3. When distance is constant speed is inversely proportional to the time taken ie if speed increases then time taken to cover the distance decreases. ie; If Da=Db then Sa/Sb= Tb/Ta
Rule 2 : We know that when distance travelled is constant, speed of the object is inversely proportional to time taken
- If the speeds given are in Harmonic progression or HP then the corresponding time taken will be in Arithmetic progression or AP.
- If the speeds given are in AP then the corresponding time taken is in HP.
Some questions on TIME, SPEED AND DISTANCE
Ques 1:- A man covers a distance of 600m in 2min 30sec. What will be the speed in km/hr?
Sol: Speed =Distance / Time
=Distance covered = 600m, Time taken = 2min 30sec = 150sec
Therefore, Speed= 600 / 150 = 4 m/sec
= 4m/sec = (4*18/5) km/hr = 14.4 km/ hr.
Ques 2:- A car travels along four sides of a square at speeds of 200, 400, 600 and 800 km/hr. Find average speed.?
Sol: Let x km be the side of square and y km/hr be average speed
Using basic formula, Time = Total Distance / Average Speed
x/200 + x/400 + x/600 + x/800= 4x/y
=25x/ 2400 = 4x/ y
= y= 384
Average speed = 384 km/hr
To know more, Download this pdf Speed-and-Distance
To enroll for the course : Click here