There are many different entrance exams to appear for MBA like CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAT etc but with more than 2 lakh students appearing every year, CAT is by far the most competitive of them all. Here is a guide on everything you should know to on how to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude.
How to crack CAT exam:
CAT is the most familiar MBA entrance test. Every year more than 1.5 students registers for CAT but only few of them crack it with 99%ile and get the chance to enter in one of the prestige institutions like IIMs, FMS, ISB etc. Now the question is HOW TO CRACK THE EXAM? CAT includes 3 sections:
- VERBAL ABILITY – 34 Questions (60 minutes)
- DATA INTERPRETATION AND LOGICAL REASONING – 32 Questions (60 minutes)
- QUANTITATIVE ABILITY – 34 Questions (60 minutes)
To crack the exam with 99% you must follow a simplified approach for your preparation. Here are some tips that will definitely lead you to score good.
1. Analyse: CAT contains different section which further includes various topics. You should analyse your strengths and weaknesses for each topic so that more time can be given on those topics where you are lacking. Prepare the list of each topic and subtopic and rate yourself to analyse it in deep.
2. Mocks: You can also analyse yourself by giving mocks. And once done plan how to clear mocks going better every time. In every mock, always aim to solve at least 50% of the test in the stipulated time. This allows you to give ample amount of time for each set and improve and Higher accuracy is better if you aim to solve around 22/34 questions.
3. Fixing approach for different types of questions: There is a limit to the sets that can be made. Exposure to variety, traps, and fixed approaches to problems will help you do well in the section. Also, focus on the thought process. When you see a set, if by the end of first reading, if you know what you are supposed to do, you’re already ahead of a lot of people.
4. Practice: The last step is to PRACTICE. This is very necessary as practice and more practice gets you score better and better. So focus should be on repetitive solving the questions and thorough with the concepts.
But you should focus more on Quantitative Ability section, because it is highly scoring and highly difficult among all. A student can score 100% in CAT if he/she is clear with the concepts.
There are different topics and subtopics in Quantitative Ability which are very common and high chances of getting questions out of them such as:
Linear Equation Algebra
Averages Ratios and percentages
Time, Distance and Speed Permutations and Combinations
These topics are very basic and general and one can score full in these. Only you need is to practice and practice more. Conceptual clarity is very necessary to score high in Aptitude.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO SCORE HIGH IN QUANTITATIVE APTITUTE
This is a special notes for all CAT and MBA aspirants.. by IIM Topper.
1) nPr = n!/(n-r)!
2) nPn = n!
3) AP: An = a + (n-1)d
Sn = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
4) GP: An = ar(n-1)
Sn = a(rn – 1 )/ (r-1)
S∞ = a/(1-r)
5) 30-60-90 triangle è 1:√3:2 sides
6) 45-45-90 triangle è 1:1:√2 sides
7) a3>b3 è a>b
8) If A than B => not B than not A
9) Zero divided by any nonzero integer is zero.
10) To know more tips and tricks, click here
Join Our CAT 2018 Discussions group and prepare with hundreds of CAT aspirants : Click here